Friday, April 10, 2009

Day 36-the flatlands and Silsbee


This morning we had a later start, not everyone, just Marci and me. Ralph and Michael said their goodbyes...three more weeks until we see them again. We headed out into the humid east Texas flat terrain. This terrain is flat, with pines and fewer wildflowers. The scenery isn't as picuresque as in the hill country, but I still like it. It is reminiscent of the coastal areas of Virginia and North Carolina for me. There are still tall pines with oaks intermingled. We saw some areas where the trees were completely uprooted, I assumed from bad storms, perhaps hurricane Ike. The roads are not only flat, but fairly straight. Our route was not heavily trafficked and that made the narrow shoulder more comfortable. We had a little tailwind and smooth road surface.

The most interesting thing I learned is where the crawfish live...there are little mounds of dirt along the road...and we heard that these are the homes of crawfish....one of my very favorite foods!! The picture of the day is one of these crawfish homes

That was our ride. We stopped in Kountz at a recommended restaurant....Mama Jack's where they had a buffett....Crawfish Etoufee, fried okra, fried shrimp, hush puppies and dirty rice were among the choices....mmmm mmmm good....the dessert of peach cobbler, apple crunch and banana pudding were also all good...ok...I had small portions of each but I did try each:) I may be too full to eat my dinner!!!!

Our dinner was great Pad Thai that Susan requested for her birthday. Happy birthday Susan, and a year filled with good health, joy, success and adventure!

Mileage 64
On to LA tomorrow

2 comments:

  1. Für Deine nächsten 3 Wochen weiter gute Fahrt auf dem Fahrrad. Deine Berichte sind sehr interessant, mache weiter so. Wenn ich mir so Euren Speiseplan ansehe, kann man direkt Hunger bekommen, wenn auch ich wohl nicht alles probieren würde. Ich werde Dich weiter verfolgen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lois,
    sometimes I think by myself your ride is a minor matter but to eat as much and as often as possible, this is the main thing. My well-meant advice is to ride now more than in the past. Because it's very simple: more ride = more hungry = more eat = more happy !!!
    All the best wishes from Germany, Lutz

    ReplyDelete